Edward R. Anderson III, M.D.
Dr. Anderson is a board certified orthopaedic spine surgeon who specializes in spinal surgery to include degenerative conditions, deformities, and traumatic injuries involving the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine. He specializes in minimally invasive cervical and lumbar reconstructive surgery when surgically indicated, traumatic and post traumatic spine injuries, as well as primary and metastatic cancers to the vertebral column. He also has expertise in motion preserving procedures such as cervical disc arthroplasty. Dr. Anderson also performs partial and total joint replacement surgery of the hip and knee made necessary by degenerative as well as traumatic injuries. He performs minimally invasive total hip and knee surgeries enabling patients to go home within 24-48 hours.
After graduating from the US Air Force Academy in 1996 with a Bachelor of Science in Biology, he earned his medical degree from Tulane University School of Medicine in New Orleans, Louisiana in 2000. He completed his internship and residency in orthopaedic surgery at the University of Alabama-Birmingham in 2005. Dr. Anderson completed his Fellowship in orthopaedic spine surgery at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michigan in 2010.
Dr. Anderson previously served as the Chief of Orthopaedic, Neurosurgery and Podiatric Surgery at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany from 2007-2009, as the Chief of Spine Surgery at San Antonio Military Medical Center from 2012-2014, and as the Chief of the San Antonio Military Medical Center’s Orthopaedic Surgery service line from 2013-2015. Dr. Anderson has deployed multiple times to Africa, Croatia, and Afghanistan.
Dr. Anderson is a Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery, a diplomate of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons, a member of the North American Spine Society, Texas Medical Association, Bexar County Medical Society, United States Air Force Academy Association of Graduates, and the National Eagle Scout Association.
Primary Office Location
South Texas Spinal Clinic, P.A.
18626 Hardy Oak Blvd., Ste 300
San Antonio TX 78258
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI. - Orthopaedic Spine Fellowship, 2004-2005
- University of Alabama-Birmingham. - Orthopaedic Internship/Residency, 2000-2005
- Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA. - Medical School, 1996-2000
- US Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, CO. - BS Biology, 1992-1996
Licensure and Board Certification
- Board Certification, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2008
- Texas Medical License, 2010
- Michigan Medical License, 2009
- West Virginia Medical License, 2009
- Illinois Medical License, 2006
- Alabama Medical License, 2001
- Nix Medical Center
- Christus Santa Rosa Hospital
- Southwest General Hospital
- The Spine and Surgical Hospital of South Texas
- Baptist Health System Hospitals
- Methodist Healthcare Hospitals