Did you know that healthcare is the number one industry in San Antonio today! While Houston has the largest medical center in the world, San Antonio has the second largest medical center in Texas. We have 6,500 physicians and many of them are dedicated to researching the causes and latest treatments for heart disease, diabetes, cancer and spinal injuries.
Because over 100 million American (almost 1 of every 3) suffer from back pain, you probably know someone in your family or circle of friends who suffers from back pain. For treatment, refer them to the South Texas Spinal Clinic, which offers traditional and innovative treatments to relieve patients with back pain.
Back pain can be a dull, constant ache to a sudden, sharp pain that makes it hard to move. It can happen when you fall or if you lift something too heavy.
Anyone can have back pain, but here is a list of factors that contribute to risk:
- Getting older. Back pain is more common as you age and it can start when you are 30 to 40 years old.
- Poor physical fitness. Back pain is more common in people who are sedentary and not fit.
- Being overweight. Too much weight can stress the back and cause pain.
- Heredity. Some causes of back pain, such as ankylosing spondylitis, a form of arthritis that affects the spine, can have a genetic component.
- Other diseases. Some types of arthritis and cancer can cause back pain.
- Your job. If you have to lift, push, or pull while twisting your spine, you may get back pain. If you work at a desk all day and do not sit up straight, you may also get back pain.
- Smoking. Your body may not be able to get enough nutrients to the disks in your back if you smoke. Smoker’s cough may also cause back pain. People who smoke are slow to heal, so back pain may last longer.
Can Back Pain Be Prevented?
Yes, the South Texas Spinal Clinic has recommendations to prevent back pain. Please look for our next blog to learn prevention measures. In the meantime, visit our website at: https://www.spinaldoc.com/ or book an appointment at one of our clinics in San Antonio .